Unfortunately, there’s not a lot of information about osmanthus flowers in English on the internet, in fact, it’s very rare to find it in shops, unless you buy the osmanthus and green tea in some Asian grocery stores. However, I would like to talk about the wonderful benefits of these beautiful, golden flowers.
The proper name for the type of osmanthus I’m talking about is the Osmanthus fragrans, which is called guihua 桂花 in Chinese and they are native to Asia.
Benefits of Osmanthus Flowers:
- Dispels cold and dampness in the body.
- Wonderful for treating colds, they can get decrease the mucus caused by inflamed lungs and reduce coughing.
- Improves overall lung health.
- Treats menstrual pain, as well as regular stomach pain.
- Treats tooth aches
- Warms stomach, improves digestion, treats intestinal diseases and reduces the amount of stomach gas.
- Used to tranquilise an active liver.
- Removes many toxins from the body.
- Brilliant for enhancing eyesight, reducing bad breath and moisturising the skin.
- Lastly, it’s a great thirst quencher.
How you can use Osmanthus:
Because I have only recently became interested in osmanthus flowers, I’ve yet to make anything with them. However, I’ve read up many ways to use osmanthus flowers in food, drinks or even skincare.
Tea – Osmanthus tea is pretty famous in China, you just need to put a handful in and add some boiling water.
Drinks – Add osmanthus flowers in ice cubes and put them in water.
Desserts – Are you making mooncakes, regular cakes, jelly or any other desserts? Osmanthus flowers can be added in desserts as they have a sweet and rich buttery taste and can even be used as a natural sweetener. Herbal Turtle Jelly and Sweet Osmanthus Cake (Gui Hua Gao) are both famous desserts in China.
Soups – Osmanthus flowers can be added in soups as well, to enhance flavour.
Cosmetics – Making facial masks or lip balms? Try adding some osmanthus. It’s a brilliant skin moisturiser.
Where to buy Osmanthus Flowers:
Finally, since they’re not even really available in ships, where can you buy them?